Voyages of Starship Arrowstar

Voyages of Starship Arrowstar
Starship Arrowstar and Shuttlecraft Maxwell

Thursday, September 20, 2018

A chance encounter in the Arizona desert nets us three new friends


It was just serendipity.  We had stopped at the Jacob’s Lake refueling station and victuals replenishment station and the captain left me to renew the fuel rods while she took shore leave to buy the few necessaries we needed for tomorrow’s breakfast.  (Un)fortunately the store also had a nice little bakery that lured her in, and a couple of cherry turnovers stowed away in her basket.  This forced an unplanned stop at a nearby scenic overlook, for a quick overlook, and a cuppa coffee.  Oh the joy of having a complete galley while on tour!

The captain took the space pups out for a stroll and I made myself the cuppa.  Then I looked out just in time to see a fellow pull in on a Vespa loaded for touring.  That was enough to pique my interest so I strolled up and said “Howdy.”  It turned out he is visiting from Galaxy England and had been on the road for months!  I figured that was worth a cuppa and invited him down to the rig.

The captain and I interrogated him just to make sure he wasn’t another of those sneaky Romulans and then decided he was OK to see the Triumph in the garage.  He said all the appropriately nice things about the bike and the workshop and then mentioned that he had found that the Vespa dangerously low on oil when he had checked it that morning.  “No problem,” I replied.  “I always carry a quart of oil for my bikes.” 

OK.  Here’s where it gets sorta weird.  I couldn’t find the oil!  I looked up, down, and all around and it was just not there!  I finally apologized and we decided he would just have to go on as is.  He walked out to the Vespa to leave and I groused to the captain about the missing oil.

She said, “Why don’t you just take some oil out of the Triumph?”

I said, “You know what!  I should just take some oil out of the Triumph!” 

I ran out and flagged down Mike and that’s what we did.

OK, OK.  Here’s where it gets really weird.  While installing the oil, a nice young couple (Bjorn and Danelle) came by and showed interest in the bike and what we were doing. They are visiting from Galaxy Holland, are not Romulans, and it turned out she is a bike nut and he is a car nut and we all struck it off beautifully.

So after about an hour or so of visiting in the rig and telling tires and kicking stories we exchanged emails, took some photos and then set our own courses.

I gotta say that frankly, this encounter was just about the highlight of our trip, other than spending time with our kids and getting our granddaughter safely married, of course.

Fly Safe!
Rusty Pistons
First Officer
Starship Arrowstar – NCC-1702

================================
Captain’s Log  - Thursday, September 20, 2018
 
Our international gathering in the rig today reminded me of a gathering we hosted on the last family-day following Madison’s wedding. We had ten people in the living room (grown sons and daughters, former husbands and wives, as well as a few grandchildren).  Frank cooked breakfast for several, who showed up hungry. All were on their way somewhere else, so we got to share hugs and say goodbye and safe travels. It was an unexpected gathering, just as it was today. Those are the best!

Black Bart’s RV and Starship Camp personnel didn’t think it prudent to answer the phone today, so we opted to stay at Kit Carson RV Park in Flagstaff. Our site is 60 feet long and 20 feet wide! It’s a pull-through, so easy-in and easy-out in the morning. The RV Park had mixed reviews online, but we’re perfectly happy and the pine trees towering over us are awesome. 

The temperature is heavenly at around 75 degrees, and we’re at an elevation of 7,000 feet.  Taking a walk literally takes your breath away! I’m so glad we’re staying over tonight before returning to the heat of the desert. I didn’t want to arrive home dead tired. We’re only about three hours from home, so hopefully we’ll feel like unpacking and settling in tomorrow.

Even though we’ll be glad to be home, we were just talking about going down to Willcox for Rex Allen Days. It’s the 67th Annual Celebration!

Safe travels and thanks so much for reading about our adventures in Starship Arrowstar.

Sparkie Plugs
Captain
Starship Arrowstar – NCC-1702

Some photos follow:












1 comment:

  1. So fun! I love collecting people (in a non-serial-killer way, of course). 😊

    ReplyDelete