Voyages of Starship Arrowstar

Voyages of Starship Arrowstar
Starship Arrowstar and Shuttlecraft Maxwell

Friday, July 15, 2016

Captain’s Log - Stardate: 20-16-07-14 – Mission Day 8






First Officer’s Entry:


I’m baaaaack!  My two day R&R was quite refreshing.   

Some of our members were here in 1996!
Yesterday I joined a group ride up to Bucks Lake and surprisingly had a good time.  You see, I’m not really a fan of group rides.  Heck, I’m not really a fan of group anything.  Double heck, I’m not a fan of groups!  But yesterday was fun.


The ride was supposed to leave at 12 noon, but the local chapter’s ride leader was suddenly not available.  That left about 25 of us standing around looking at the ride map, which was very well done by the way, and deciding if we should go it alone as individuals or to elect a leader.  We did the latter and left about 12:20.


The leader was OK, but turned out to be a “Ricky Road Racer” while most of the rest of us were “Sunday morning ride to breakfast” riders.  I tried to keep up with the six or seven riders who were drafting RRR but gave up after about 15 minutes and slacked off to my usual old guy pace.  A few minutes later the rest of the group caught up and nobody passed me, so I found myself elected leader of the slow group.  


The ride was not long but went up a 15% grade for about 20 miles of sharp twisty-turnies.  I had put fresh tires on the Norton about two years ago and this was the first time I feathered the edges of those tires.  Some turns were so tight I dropped all the way down to first gear.  We topped out at 5100 feet on ABM (Another Beautiful Mountain) in tall pines, clear air, at a very nice restaurant on the edge of ABL (Another Beautiful Lake).  Lunch time!








The group dissipated during lunch so when I was ready to go I just go’d.  There was a secondary route back down the mountain that was much less twisty and far more enjoyable so I cruised back to Quincy at my usual slow-guy pace being passed all the way by bigger, badder, bedder riders.


Today I am lending one of my bikes to a long time member-friend so he can go on another group ride.  He hasn’t decided which one he’ll take as the ’68 Triumph 500cc “Bobber” is a bit small for him (he’s a big guy) and the Norton’s café’ racer low handlebars will probably tie him in a knot before the ride is over as he has a bit of back trouble.  The Norton is the first choice of course, as it is bigger, badder, bedder, faster, but the Triumph will let him sit up straight.



FYI and BTW:  I’m doing most of the cooking around here as the captain is working almost full time on her #$%^& inner circle.  (But I really don’t mind as I happen to be a really good cook and actually enjoy it.)

This was another group ride.  More about this later.
End First Officer’s Entry.



Captain’s Entry:

The captain is trapped in the inner circle.  I am coordinating a rescue mission.

First Officer Frank.  (aka Commander Rusty Pistons)



End Captain’s Entry

No comments:

Post a Comment