Voyages of Starship Arrowstar

Voyages of Starship Arrowstar
Starship Arrowstar and Shuttlecraft Maxwell

Sunday, August 16, 2015

Ship’s Log - Stardate: 20-15-08-15. Saturday. Mission Day 82.



Captain’s Log:

Trip to Mackinaw City

For the most part, coast highway 23 proved to be smooth with easy driving through little shore towns. We enjoyed the ride to Mackinaw Mill Creek Camp, stopping on the banks of Grand Lake (not Huron) for lunch. Further up the highway we could see the vast waters of Lake Huron when there were breaks in the trees that line the road. The majority of beautiful houses on the shore look like residences rather than lake cottages. I’ve got to say, this is my kind of lake and not at all like the desert lakes we see in Arizona where there are no houses of any kind.

We packed up our laundry as soon as we arrived at camp and loaded up Maxwell with Tide and quarters for a trip downtown to find the Laundromat. It’s located not far from Fort Mackinaw, so I walked on down there while the machines tossed our clothes around. I was disappointed to find that the closest shady bench by the water resided inside chain link fencing. I walked several blocks down to a visitor center under the bridge before I found an open-to-the public bench under the trees next to the water.

Access to the fort and grounds next to Lake Huron costs $11, and that dang fence runs all the way out into the water to keep people out who might walk along the beach to get in. It’s obvious this used to be an open park that has been closed to generate revenue. There are many gates that have now been padlocked. By the time I found the public-access to the beach, I was hot, sweaty and not in a very good mood. I felt as if I’d spent time imprisoned in a tourist trap.

Tomorrow we should have photos of Mackinac Island.

Thanks for traveling with us!

End Captain’s Log.

First Officer’s Entry:

For you sharp eyed folks who have noticed the spelling of “Mackinac” and “Mackinaw” please be advised both are correct.  The island is “Mackinac”, pronounced “Mackinaw”, and the city is “Mackinaw” pronounced “Mackinaw.”  I dunno why.  There’s probably a reason.  Something French I suppose.

As the Captain said, Rt. 23 was a pleasure to drive.  Smooth as glass with beautiful views and great rest areas.

I went downtown to find an ATM and a penny press and found both.  I also found a shirt shop that actually had golf style shirts and bought a black one with the Mackinac Island logo.  That, with the laundry doing, made yesterday about as exciting as it gets.

Sunday the island!  Life in the fast lane!  Standby for words!

End First Officer’s entry






No comments:

Post a Comment