Voyages of Starship Arrowstar

Voyages of Starship Arrowstar
Starship Arrowstar and Shuttlecraft Maxwell

Saturday, August 22, 2015

Ship’s Log - Stardate: 2015-08-22 - Saturday - Mission Day 90



Combined Captain and First Officer Entry:
 
Three Months on the Road!
Captain: Tonight we plan to be at Sunset Ridge RV Park in Stillwater, Oklahoma. When we arrived at our spot for last evening, we were told they’d sent us an email saying they were full-up! We scrambled to find another place nearby and ended up at a little park next to a National Guard Installation, behind a Motel 8. 

It turned out to be a nice little park with trees, grass and exotic chickens. The First Officer struck up a conversation with the woman in charge, who just happened to be an Air Force Vet who had, at one point in her career, worked in the White House! It’s amazing who you might meet in unexpected places when you hit the road. 

Today we’re celebrating our three-months-on-the-road anniversary.  We’ve decided to try something different and blog while we’re in motion. As I type, we’re doing 65 mph on the Kansas Turnpike, and the First Officer is dictating words for the blog at approximately a mile a minute!

Since the rolling green hills of Kansas, dotted with cattle and sheep, can’t really be captured in words or photographs that do it justice, we thought we’d take a stab at writing little things we’d think of the day after writing a blog entry. Stories that were, if you’ll allow, “a day late and a dollar short.”

Here are some We-forgot-to-mentions . . . 

Black Turkey Vultures – Up the hill and around the bend at our Mississippi River Camp, a very tall steel latticework tower loomed above a cement cul-de-sac at the end of the paved park road. Around six in the morning, I ventured near the tower while walking the dogs. I got a shock when I looked heavenward to see at least 10 black turkey vultures looking down at me! Yikes!

These birds were as big as chickens, but their heads were not bald like the vultures you might be picturing. They had small heads most likely devoid of feathers, but their heads were small and hawk-like with no long, skinny necks, a scary flock indeed! They were using the tower as a lookout for their first meal of the day and when one of them took off, I could see the bird’s wingspan was tremendous. I didn’t stick around to see what morsel this bird brought back from the river as I began to fear the whole flock might descend on me and my little rabbit-like Chihuahuas! Creepy!

An Impressive Lady 

First Officer: Most of you know I like to wear my Air Force cap. Yesterday when I went into the RV Park’s office I met a real neat lady who, when she saw my hat, said that she had spent 25 years in the Air Force before retiring. She asked me what I had done in the service, and I told her radar maintenance on F105 Fighters. She told me she’d been in Command and Control, flying in the big 747 Flying Command Posts. Later she was assigned to the White House. She said that’s why she stayed in 25 years because she kept getting really neat assignments. I immediately thought to myself, she was getting those assignments because she was such an impressive and capable lady.

A little while later, as I was connecting the utilities to the rig, she came out with a new connector for the cable TV. I thanked her and then as she started to turn away I said, “Ma’am,” she turned around, and I threw her a highball (salute). She returned it just as crisply and militarily correct as you can ever imagine. That was neat.

Captain: 
The Starship Arrowstar Galley
Much to your captain’s delight, the FO has taken a liking to cooking. Our morning rest-stop breakfasts have become his domain with these sumptuous offerings: French toast, pancakes, egg sandwiches with turkey bacon, scrambled egg tortillas, and my favorite menu: pork chops with hash browns and fried eggs (he flips them over without resorting to a spatula – it’s quite a show) and freshly brewed coffee.

Sometimes he takes requests for dinner, too. I complained I didn’t get my favorite breaded tenderloin sandwich while we were in Kokomo. I explained how the pork tenderloin sandwiches are pounded so thin before they’re breaded that it’s questionable if there’s really any pork buried in the bread crumbs. So far the FO has taken two stabs at recreating this tasty treat. They’ve both been yummy, and I’m delighted to think we can reproduce these in our own kitchen without traveling all the way to Kokomo.

Recipe for Breaded Tenderloin Sandwiches

Buy thin-cut, boneless breakfast pork chops or tenderloins
Pound them as thin as possible with the back side of a butcher knife or a meat pounder
Dip the meat into a whipped egg and then into Progresso Italian Bread Crumbs
Fry in about ¼ inch of light olive oil (you can add a pat of butter to the oil if you wish)
Salt and Pepper meat to taste.
Grill the buns by draining off almost all the oil and put them face down in the hot skillet.
Put it all together and serve. The meat will stick out of the bun an inch or more. CKT likes hers with a little mayo and Frank likes his with a slice of cheese. Of course you can also add a tomato slice and lettuce for a truly stupendous sandwich.
End Log










No comments:

Post a Comment