Voyages of Starship Arrowstar

Voyages of Starship Arrowstar
Starship Arrowstar and Shuttlecraft Maxwell

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Ship’s Log - Stardate: 2015-08-20 - Thursday - Mission Day 88



Captain’s Entry:
I don’t know why Frank is in such a hurry to get back to Phoenix when it’s 117 degrees in the shade and nothing is moving, not even a fly. Secretly, I’m getting a bit road weary, so maybe it’s time to find home again. I’d like to swim in the pool and sleep in our big king-sized bed once more. I’m also supposed to be writing another novel which has been given short shrift this summer with all the travel we’ve done.

This morning on my walk with the dogs I spotted a huge (make that HUGE) barge chugging down the middle of the Mississippi River. First light gave me very little illumination to work with, but I did snap a shot that I’ll post here. You’ll notice that the tug pushing said barge down river might be the largest one you’ll ever see on a river. It’s definitely NOT “Little Toot.”




Tonight we’ve landed a spot at a very nice KOA with a pond, a pool, and a nice fenced dog park for the puppies. KOA’s are fine, but they’re so cookie cutter that I sometimes forget what city and state we’re in. It’s HOT and HUMID here in Des Moines, Iowa, so the new air conditioning really feels great. I’m staying inside until the sun goes down this evening.

Frank has already plotted our course for tomorrow to Topeka, Kansas and Deer Creek RV Park. Online it looks new and very posh with amazing landscaping including a fountain, gazebo and flowery garden walkways that will “knock your socks off.” I’m looking forward to exploring the place. We should be getting in fairly early again.

As Frank reiterates below, this travel leg of the trip will undoubtedly be fairly boring to readers. We’ll need to come up with some ideas to keep you entertained while we draw closer and closer to the National Cowgirl Museum and Hall of Fame in Fort Worth, Texas. Check it out at 

http://www.cowgirl.net/museum/about-the-museum/

The museum has just added an exhibit about Annie Oakley. She tells her own story in the form of a holographic image. I can hardly wait to see this exhibit that is part of the new Hitting the Mark: Cowgirls and Wild West Shows gallery. It’s all about cowgirls performing in Wild West exhibitions from the 1880s to early in the 1900s. I read that hanging glass screens display Wild West posters and old film footage from the era. 

Future books in The Arrowstar Series will surely benefit from a visit to this venue. I’m excited!

End Captain’s Log

First Officer’s Entry:

We are in “go home mode” so you may want to stop reading this blog. I have the feeling it is about to get boring.

Today was uneventful (see?).  We drove from Dubuque (pronounced Doo-Byuke),Iowa to Des Moines (pronounced, Da-Moyne), Iowa.  About 235 miles as the RV cruises at 65mph.

Tomorrow we are driving from Da-Moyne to Topeka, KS., which is about 250 miles.  And Topeka is pronounced pretty much like it looks “Tow-Peek-a.” 

Ta Da!

End (Boring) Log

No comments:

Post a Comment